You are here
Opening Ceremony of the Academic Year: Joint Celebrations of the City and the University
On 1 September 2018 the Ceremonial Meeting on the Day of Pécs and the Ceremonial Senate Meeting of the University of Pécs Opening the Academic Year was jointly celebrated. On this occasion, awards of the city and the university have been conferred.
The joint celebration was held on a quite special day, because since last year – the 650th anniversary of the foundation of the first university of Hungary – 1 September has been announced as the Day of Hungarian Higher Education, as well as the memorial day of the foundation of the university in Pécs.
Zsolt Páva, mayor of Pécs referred in his speech to the successful cooperation of the city and the university in the jubilee year of 2017. He highlighted the importance of the knowledge-based society, to which he added that the university and the city need further deep and long-term cooperation, in order to maintain Pécs as a classic university city.
Attila Miseta, rector emphasized in his festive speech the importance of values established by professors, of the appreciation of talent presented to us, and the necessity of continued effort. Then he drew special attention to the significance of the effectiveness of developments and support, which can only be realized through cooperation and joint lobby efforts.
The City Hall Memorial Award was conferred upon:
- Prof. Dr. Valér Csernus, professor
- Károlyné Ötvös, teacher, environmental specialist
- Dr. József Pandur, painter, art historian
- István Szél, master hairstylist
- István Zsiga, master restauranteur, catering teacher.
The Pécs City Science Award, the Bishop William Award was conferred upon:
- Prof. Dr. László Czirják, professor, head of clinic.
The Pécs City Press Award, named after Ferenc Várady was given to:
- Endre Kaszás, journalist.
The Community Culture Award of Pécs, the Győző Csorba Award was conferred upon:
- Beatrix Bánkyné Perjés, project manager.
On 1 September János Áder, the President of Hungary, on the proposal of the Minister of Human Capacities of Hungary appointed the following 17 people to a professorship:
As a symbol of belonging to the professorial staff of the University of Pécs, they received the academic robe of the university from the rector.
The following professors received the university professor robe:
At the Faculty of Law:
- Dr. Csaba Szilovics.
At the Faculty of Humanities:
- Dr. Tamás Demeter,
- Dr. Tibor Grüll,
- Dr. György Heidl.
At the Clinical Centre:
- Dr. Endre Arató,
- Dr. István Szokodi,
- Dr. Csaba Vermes,
- Dr. Nobert Kovács,
- Dr. Boldizsár Czéh.
Athe Faculty of Business and Economics:
- Dr. István Kónya,
- Dr. Zoltán Schepp.
At the Faculty of Cultural Sciences, Education and Regional Development:
- Dr. Janka Teodóra Nagy.
At the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology:
- Dr. Gabriella Medvegy.
At the Faculty of Music and Visual Arts:
- Dr. Csaba Király.
At the Faculty of Sciences:
- Dr. László Pálfalvi,
- Dr. Norbert Pap,
- Dr. László Tóth.
„PRO Civitate” Award was conferred upon:
- Rudi Roth, honorary consul of Hungary in Graz, Austria,
- Csaba Burján, Olympic champion,
- Viktor Knoch, Olympic champion.
„PRO COMMUNITATAE” Award was conferred upon:
- László Dobos, music teacher, conductor,
- Ildikó Megyimóreczné Schmidt, music teacher,
- the Pro Pannonia Publishing Foundation.
The awards of the University of Pécs have also been conferred:
The University Culture Award has been conferred upon:
- the Dance Team of the University of Pécs,
- Szabolcs Balásy, music and choir teacher, conductor.
The University Sports Award has been conferred upon:
- Dániel Berta, student of the Faculty of Sciences,
- Bence Bicsák, student of the Faculty of Business and Economics,
- Balázs Szijártó, student of the Medical School,
- Dániel Bali, student of the Faculty of Business and Economics.
The Alma Mater Memorial Award has been conferred upon:
- Enikő Judit Czigler, student of the Faculty of Business and Economics,
- Dr. Orsolya Melinda Horváth, PhD student, assistant lecturer.
Pro Universitate Juventutis Award has been conferred upon:
- Amir Reza Ashraf, student of the Medical School,
- Gabriella Margit Hüber, PhD student, assistant professor.
The Senate of the University of Pécs on the recommendation of the Rector confers the King Louis the Great Award to those individuals from Hungary or abroad, whose scientific, artistic, educational, sport, cultural or other exceptional accomplishments have been acknowledged by national or international state award, prize or medal, or they hold a high public office, and contributed to the further development of Hungarian education, science, culture, as well as to the further recognition of Hungarian achievements internationally, or to the development of Hungarian higher education.
In 2018 the Senate conferred the King Louis the Great Award upon:
- Dr. Zsolt Páva, mayor of Pécs.
The Senate of the University of Pécs on the recommendation of the Rector confers the Pro Universitate Quinqueecclesiensi Award upon individuals, who contributed significantly to the enhancement of the reputation of the University, its Hungarian and international renown, or have been of significant assistance, or who have played outstanding roles in the development of education, scientific research, in increasing the quality at the University, as well as the development of the social relationships of the University.
The following people received the Pro Universitate statuette, the golden pin of the University as well as the certificate:
- Dr. László Kollár, professor of the Faculty of Sciences, University of Pécs,
- Dr. László Lovász, president of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
The prestigious „Honorary Citizen of Pécs” title was conferred upon:
- Prof Dr. Imre Nagy, literary historian.
The event was concluded with the blessing of György Udvardy diocesan bishop.
The event was highlighted by the entertainment by Csaba Király, Ferenc Liszt Award winning pianist, professor of the Faculty of Music and Visual Arts; the festive programme of Katalin Stubendek and Zoltán Bókai. The Dance Team of the University performed a choreography designed specifically for this occasion creating a lively university atmosphere on the stage. Gábor Fekete showed the audience the wonderful world of theatres in his performance
Congratulations to all awards and recognitions!